Annually, Sight Savers America holds a special celebration that brings together a comprehensive representation of Alabama’s eye care community, as well as corporate and community leaders across Alabama. This event raises awareness of the work of Sight Savers America and honors the recipient of our Hall W. Thompson Hero For Sight Award. This annual award is presented to an individual or organization whose impact on children’s eye care has been both lasting and profound.
The inaugural year for the Sight Savers America Hero For Sight Event was 2014. Our upcoming event is scheduled for Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at The Club in Birmingham.
Hero For Sight Award Recipients & Artists are listed below:
Sight Savers America Tribute Wall
In 2014, the UAB Callahan Eye Hospital in Birmingham dedicated a 25-foot tribute wall in their first floor lobby to Sight Savers America.
A unique part of the space displays an original work of art by an artist with severe visual impairment. The artwork, commissioned by Sight Savers America, is displayed for one year as the centerpiece of the tribute wall to honor the current Hero For Sight Award recipient.
The space also includes a plaque that shares the mission and scope of Sight Savers America’s work, a plaque honoring Hall Thompson’s role in improving children’s vision in Alabama, a plaque recognizing the current Sight Savers America Hero For Sight Award recipient and artist, and a plaque recognizing all award recipients throughout the years.
Media coverage from prior HERO FOR SIGHT events:
- 2019 – https://www.wvtm13.com/article/uab-eye-care-leader-receives-special-honor/26901601
- 2018 – https://abouttown.io/Hero-for-Sight/?key=xHjcgV
- 2017 – https://sightsaversamerica.org/hero-sight-event-march-8-2017/
- 2016 – https://sightsaversamerica.org/hero-for-sight-luncheon-march-10-2016/
- 2015 – https://sightsaversamerica.org/2015-hero-for-sight-luncheon-nbc-13-coverage/
- 2014 – https://sightsaversamerica.org/hero-for-sight-fundraiser/